GOALS seeks to cultivate and embolden the next generation of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) leaders through a free, immersive, field-based summer science program for high school girls.
We believe in the power of young people as leaders, scientists, and outdoors persons. GOALS is an opportunity for people who have had that experience of walking into a classroom, a lab, or an outdoor space and finding that no one else looked like them. If you’ve doubted that you belong in STEM or the outdoors, GOALS is for you.
Our individual experiences in both STEM and outdoor spaces are shaped by our many intersecting identities. GOALS seeks to create a nurturing environment for scholars, leaders, and mentors alike to grow as scientists and leaders while exploring, sharing, and celebrating the many facets of our identities, including:
- Race and ethnicity,
- Sexual orientation and gender identity,
- Cultural background and upbringing,
- Hometown and family dynamics,
- Socioeconomic status or class,
- Languages spoken at home,
- Education level of family members,
- Immigration status,
- Body size and ability,
- Religious or spiritual identity, and
- Other identities and life experiences.