Applications are open for the 2021 summer program are closed.
INFORMATION ABOUT GOALS:
GOALS is an opportunity for people who have had that experience of walking into a classroom, a lab, or an outdoor space and finding that no one else looked like them. GOALS was created to increase opportunities for high school students who are from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math). We particularly encourage people of color, trans, nonbinary, genderqueer, and LGBTQ+ people to apply. If you’ve doubted that you belong in STEM or the outdoors, GOALS is for you.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
GOALS 2021 will run from July 26-31 will be a virtual program, with potential opportunities for group meet ups and hikes depending on Sacramento and Yolo county COVID-19 guidelines. The program is FREE and GOALS will provide all the materials you need! You can expect to be online in the morning for 1-2 hours for a check in, lesson description, and program description for the day. Then you’ll spend most of the time outside in your community engaging in the material, and head back online either for lunch or an evening check-in. You’ll have the opportunity to meet like minded people your age (new friends!), explore nature in your community, participate in real scientific research, and engage with scientists! This is an immersive program so we want this to be your focus for the duration of the program.
After the program, you’ll be a part of the GOALS alumni network where you can engage with other alumni and participate in future mentorship activities with GOALS, such as reunion hikes and college application guidance.
GOALS wants to assemble a diverse team of students for our program so we can all grow as scientists and leaders while exploring, sharing, and celebrating the many facets of our identities. These identities can include:
- Race and ethnicity,
- Sexual orientation and gender identity,
- Cultural background and upbringing,
- Hometown and family dynamics,
- Socioeconomic status or class,
- Languages spoken at home,
- Education level of family members,
- Immigration status,
- Body size and ability,
- Religious or spiritual identity, and
- Other identities and life experiences.
ALL of the following statements must be met in order to be eligible for GOALS. Please send us an email if you are unsure if you meet these requirements. You must:
- Be a rising junior or senior in high school (completing 10th or 11th grade in Spring 2021)
- Identify with girlhood (we welcome all trans, cis, genderqueer, and non-binary youth)
- Live within 35 miles of Davis, CA 95616
- Be available for the program, July 26-31, 2021 (optional family activity on July 31)
- Be interested in learning more about science and the outdoors
- Want to work as a member of a team