The 2019 Trip Leader Application deadline has passed. Applications for GOALS 2020 will be available in early 2020.
- Work as a team of leaders to guide 6-10 high school students through the backcountry of Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks from July 13 – July 28, 2019 (itinerary will be provided)
- Lead lessons and activities to teach scientific, leadership, outdoor skills, and environmental stewardship content throughout the program (curriculum materials will be provided)
- Lead the students in citizen science data collection projects and assist the students in developing small independent research projects
- Foster a supportive, welcoming, and inclusive learning environment for students of diverse backgrounds and experiences who may be new to the outdoors
- Respond to any emergency situations (including medical emergencies) or difficulties that may arise in the backcountry portion of the trip
- Participate in a leader training workshop (dates TBD; tentatively in June) to become familiar with the curriculum content and overall structure of the GOALS immersive program, plus additional hours as needed for leader training
- Participate in a one-day orientation hike with the other leaders and the high school participants on June 15, 2019.
- Participate in final trip preparation on July 12, 2019.
- $850 stipend
- Food are housing are provided for the duration of the trip
- Assistance with backpacking gear procurement for the trip is available as needed.
- UC Davis affiliate (undergraduate student, graduate student, post-doc, staff, faculty).
- Will have completed at least two years of undergraduate education by July 2019.
- Identify as female, femme, or gender-nonconforming
- Available for the training workshop for program leaders and a one-day hike for program leaders and the high school participants, as well as final trip preparations on July 12, plus additional time as needed.
- Available for the duration of the program: July 13 – July 28, 2019. GOALS is an immersive program that largely takes place in the backcountry of Sequoia National Park – leaders MUST be available for the duration of the trip, as it is not feasible for leaders to either meet up with the group late or leave the group early.
- Good physical health and able to hike up to 7 miles a day with a 40 pound backpack
- Current, valid certification as a Wilderness First Responder (WFR) or in Wilderness First Aid (WFA), or be willing to take a WFR or WFA course if not certified prior to July 1st. If determined necessary for the program, GOALS will arrange and pay for your certification.
- Prior backpacking experience (overnight in the backcountry)
- A valid US driver’s license
- Must be a minimum of 20 years old
- Prior or current involvement in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math)
- Will contribute to the diversity of the trip leader team (diversity takes many forms, including race, ethnicity, sexual and gender identity, religion, cultural background and life experiences) and able to identify with GOALS participants from diverse backgrounds
- Able to lead collaboratively, mitigate conflict, and overcome challenges
- Experience leading/guiding backpacking trips
- Ability to speak another language
- WFR/WFA/First aid certified